World Cup 2019: England rewrite record books after their thumping victory over Afghanistan.
ENGLAND VS AFGHANISTAN SCORECARD:
England: 397-6 in 50 overs | Winner
Eoin Morgan: 148(71) | Jonny Bairstow: 90(99) | Gulbadin Naib: 3-68
Afghanistan: 247-8 in 50 overs, lost the match by 150 runs
Hashmatullah Shahidi: 76(100) | Jofra Archer: 3- 52 | Adil Rashid: 3-66
Player of the Match: Eoin Morgan
Carnage, slaughter, butcher, etc. You can call whatever you want as England literally ripped apart possibly the best spin bowling attacks in World Cup 2019.
Batting first, England had a rather slow start as they could only add 44 for the first wicket after 9.3 overs. James Vince, who replaced the injured Jason Roy couldn’t impress as he scored a decent 26(31).
Jonny Bairstow, who was due for a big knock looked solid as he got off to a good start. Joe Root, meanwhile, continued his amazing consistent run as both the batsmen added 120 for the second wicket. He was quite unfortunate with his dismissal on 90(99) as he missed out on a well-deserving century.
Eoin Morgan, who joined Joe Root played arguably one of the best World Cup innings of all time. He hit a world record 17 sixes in his 148(71) as him along with Root (88) and Moeen Ali (31) helped England reach a record score of 397-6 in 50 overs.
Rashid Khan had a horror match as he became the first spinner to give more than 100 runs in an ODI match.
While Impossible may be a harsh word for Afghanistan, but It did feel as if Afghanistan had already given up given the way they went about chasing the mammoth target of 398.
Anyway, chasing 398, Afghanistan lost Noor Ali for a duck, and after that Afghanistan’s only target seemed to build good partnerships. They did well as they added 48 for the second wicket in 10.3 overs, another 52 for the third wicket in 13 overs, and another 94 for the fourth wicket in 16 overs.
Courtesy to these slow partnerships, Afghanistan were already out of the game, and their only target felt like playing the entire 50 overs. They did succeed in playing 50 overs, but they could only add 247; thus losing the match by 150 runs.
Jofra Archer and Adil Rashid took 3 wickets each for England in their spell of 3-52 and 3-66 respectively. So, a convincing victory for Team England over Afghanistan as they shatter numerous records in the process at World Cup 2019.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR AFGHANISTAN?
- Rashid Khan’s horrendous spell conceding a record 110 runs in 9 overs
- Afghanistan’s inability to put pressure in the middle-overs during England’s batting.
- Afghanistan’s approach chasing 398 was quite baffling. They had decent partnerships, but at least 1 player should have played the role of the aggressor in the Chase.
RECORDS BROKEN DURING ENGLAND VS AFGHANISTAN
- 25- Most sixes in a team innings
- 297-6 v Afg – England’s highest total in WC
- 189 between Joe Root and Eoin Morgan- Highest partnership for England in WC
- 17- Most sixes in an innings
- 57 by Eoin Morgan- Fourth fastest century in WC
- 148 by Eoin Morgan- Third highest score for England in WC
- 110- Most runs conceded by a bowler in a World Cup game
- 110- Most runs conceded by a spinner in ODIs
- 33 in EngvAfg- Most sixes in a World Cup match.
Match 25: SOUTH AFRICA VS NEW ZEALAND
Date: June 19, 2019
Time: 3 pm IST
South Africa fight the battle of survival as they meet New Zealand in a must win game.