IPL 2020, set to begin on March 29 as we look at some of the unique and interesting stats of the tournament.
The 13th edition of the Indian Premier League, IPL 2020 would be held in March, April, and May as confirmed by BCCI. The opening match is scheduled to take place between the defending champions, Mumbai Indians (MI) and the runners-up, Chennai Super Kings (CSK) on March 29.
While Chennai Super Kings and Delhi Capitals have a fantastic team on paper, the recent outright odds say that the Mumbai Indians are on the lead followed by the Sunrisers Hyderabad. The India cricket news sites always feature these amazing cricketers, and their outstanding performances. So, let’s find out some interesting stats of IPL 2020.
IPL 2020 AUCTION:
In the intense IPL 2020 Auction battle, franchises have shelled out and auctioned few top-notched players to join the IPL season this year. The top 5 most expensive players bought during IPL 2020 Auction.
- Pat Cummins, Kolkata Knight Riders || INR 1550L
- Glenn Maxwell, Kings XI Punjab || INR 1075
- Chris Morris, Royal Challengers Bangalore || INR1000L
- Sheldon Cottrell, Kings XI Punjab || INR 850L
- Nathan Coulter-Nile, Mumbai Indians || INR 800L
CAPTAINS AND COACHES:
As compared to IPL 2019, the 13th edition, IPL 2020 would witness a new captain in the form of KL Rahul. The Kings XI Punjab side would see a change in leadership having traded Ravichandran Ashwin to Delhi Capitals.
Delhi Capitals would continue under Shreyas Iyer’s leadership. Meanwhile, Steve Smith, who had partially captained Rajasthan Royals in IPL 2019 would don the captaincy duties completely for IPL 2020.
Also, among all the 8 coaches, only Kings XI Punjab have an Indian coach in the form of Anil Kumble. Rest 7 coaches are all foreigners.
Here are the respective captains and coaches of all eight teams in the league for IPL 2020.
- MS Dhoni (C) and Stephen Fleming || Chennai Super Kings
- Shreyas Iyer (C) and Ricky Ponting || Delhi Capitals
- KL Rahul (C) and Anil Kumble || Kings XI Punjab
- Dinesh Karthik (C) and Brendon Mccullum || Kolkata Knight Riders
- Rohit Sharma (C) and Mahela Jayawardane || Mumbai Indians
- Steve Smith (C) and Andrew McDonald || Rajasthan Royals
- Virat Kohli (C) Simon Katich || Royal Challengers Bangalore
- Kane Williamson (C) and Trevor Bayliss || Sunrisers Hyderabad
IPL would see all their matches being conducted in 8 stadiums as mentioned below.
- M. A. Chidambaram Stadium || Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Feroz Shah Kotla || Delhi
- Punjab Cricket Association IS Bindra Stadium || Mohali, Punjab
- Eden Gardens || Kolkata, West Bengal
- Wankhede Stadium || Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Sawai Mansingh Stadium || Jaipur, Rajasthan
- M. Chinnaswamy Stadium || Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium || Hyderabad, Telangana
As the IPL establishes its glory, it has become one of the most-attended cricket leagues in the world, and is ranked 5th in the world attendance for an outdoor sport garnering more than 32,000 fans in each game.
In the upcoming league, there is a continuous increase in demand for live stream broadcasts and updates. In addition to that, cricket fans from around the world who want to watch IPL live are now planning to visit India.
According to Cox & Kings, one of the longest established companies headquartered in India and in the UK, there is a total of 30% rise in the number of travelers for the holidays in the place of a scheduled IPL match. Additionally, there is also an increase in the flow of tourists in nearby cities such as Chandigarh, Jodhpur, Aurangabad, Alibuag, Agra, Mysore, and Puducherry.
The platform would witness a marked rise in traction during this IPL season as the younger population begins to flock for marking their support for their favorite teams’, stated by the Vice President Abhushkek Rajan of Paytm, an Indian e-commerce payment, and financial technology company during the IPL season in 2018.
As the 13th season starts on March 29, stay tuned and be updated on the latest happenings of one of the world’s most-awaited cricket leagues.
Thanks for reading! What excites you the most in IPL 2020? Please, let us know in the comments.